India’s LCD TV Market Doubling Every Year, DisplaySearch Report Reveals
Austin, Texas, September 10, 2008—DisplaySearch, the worldwide leader in display market research and consulting, recently released a new topical report called India TV Market: TV’s Emerging Land of Opportunity that analyzes the trends and opportunities within the India market and predicts that by 2012, LCD TV shipments will surpass those of CRT TVs in India. India has the second largest population in the world and an annual GDP growth rate of more than 8% from 2002 to 2012, with a TV market that is projected to be 13 million units in 2008. CRT TV accounts for 92.9% of those units in 2008, followed by LCD TV with 6.6% and PDP TV with 0.5%. However, DisplaySearch finds that the India flat panel TV market is just at the beginning of a real growth curve, with Y/Y growth of more than 100% expected for each of the next five years. Growth will be driven by enhanced purchasing power, the digital broadcast (DTH, IPTV, STB cable) transition as well as consumer awareness and affordability of flat panel TVs. India’s growing upper middle class is projected to be the greatest source of LCD TV purchasing power. DisplaySearch analyzes the favorable demographics where more than 23M Indians—greater than the entire population of Australia—will enter this demographic in the next five years.
Meanwhile, major brands like Samsung, LGE, Sony and Philips and Indian local brands like Videocon and Onida are all focusing promotional efforts around LCD TV. Several Chinese brands are also targeting India with their first exports. Figure 1 shows the India TV forecast by technology.
Figure 1 India TV Shipment Forecast by Technology
Source: DisplaySearch India TV Market: TV’s Emerging Land of Opportunity
India TV Market: TV’s Emerging Land of Opportunity, authored by DisplaySearch’s TV research team, examines the enormous short-term and long-term opportunities present in India's TV marketplace. The report highlights include
- India TV market outlooks, forecasts, product roadmaps and major brand strategies
- Economic growth projections and the effect on consumer spending
- Inflection point where flat panels overtake CRTs in India
- Comprehensive analysis of the economic factors fueling TV growth
- Manufacturing and cost considerations
- The import duty on TVs in India
- Each TV brands’ strategy In India
- Indian TV customers’ preferences for TV features
- TV manufacturing opportunities in India
- India TV sales channel differentiators
Other key findings in the report include
- Among the imports of LCD TV into India, approximately 25% were imported in as CBU (Complete Built Unit) and 75% were imported as SKD (Semi-Knock Down) or CKD (Complete Knock Down).
- In 2007, the leading India LCD TV brands were Samsung, with more than 30% share, followed by Sony (19%), and LG (16%). The leading PDP TV brands are LGE, Samsung and Panasonic. LGE also leads the CRT TV market in India with more than 25% market share, followed by Samsung and Videocon.
- Thailand has a special FTA (Free Trade Agreement) with India on duty benefits. Therefore, companies like Sony and Panasonic are making LCD TVs in Thailand and then shipping them to India.
- 21” flat CRT TVs have a 55% share of the total CRT TV market in India.
- There are still some concerns about India’s LCD TV market growth: poor power supply; vague progress toward India digital TV broadcasting; a complex TV import-duty structure; and regulations that are very complicated and very inefficient.
- In 2008, the share of 32” will be more than 45% in India LCD TV market, followed by 20-26” with 31% share. 40-47” accounts for only 15% in India LCD TV market.
- CRT TV OEM is a key business in India as many brands ship components into the country and then subcontract to local OEM makers to assembly CRT TVs for them.
- Sony, Samsung and LGE have the most exclusive shops in India.
- The growing LCD TV market in India has encouraged Indian company Videocon group to set up a TFT LCD panel manufacturing fab.
For information on this DisplaySearch report, please contact your DisplaySearch sales representative for more details. Please direct all inquiries by contacting a DisplaySearch advisor at +1.512.687.1511 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or the local DisplaySearch offices in Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China.
DisplaySearch, an NPD Group company, has a core team of 58 employees located in Europe, North America and Asia who produce a valued suite of FPD-related market forecasts, technology assessments, surveys, studies and analyses. Visit the DisplaySearch blog to read about how our top analysts are interpreting up-to-the-minute issues that impact the display industry, and join us in this discussion about technology and the flat panel industry. The company also organizes influential events worldwide. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, DisplaySearch has regional operations in Chicago, Houston, Kyoto, London, San Diego, San Jose, Seoul, Shenzhen, Taipei and Tokyo, and the company is on the web at http://www.displaysearch.com/.
About The NPD Group, Inc.
The NPD Group is the leading provider of reliable and comprehensive consumer and retail information for a wide range of industries. Today, more than 1,600 manufacturers, retailers, and service companies rely on NPD to help them drive critical business decisions at the global, national, and local market levels. NPD helps our clients to identify new business opportunities and guide product development, marketing, sales, merchandising, and other functions. Information is available for the following industry sectors: automotive, beauty, commercial technology, consumer technology, entertainment, fashion, food and beverage, foodservice, home, office supplies, software, sports, toys, and wireless. For more information, contact us or visit http://www.npd.com/.